Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I Love Quiche!

It seems I've had quite a thing for quiche lately. This may in part be due to my quest to be a better wife/mom and cook dinner for my family more often, I don't know. But quiche has been hitting the spot lately, I love it, and the fam seems to as well (well, except for David, he's kinda picky...). Anyway, I've made several kinds, trying to incorporate as many veggies as possible. I've used asparagus, tomatoes, broccoli, zucchini, onions, corn, mushrooms, green beans, red peppers, and probably others I am forgetting at this moment. Rich does not care for cooked spinach so we've avoided that. 

So to honor my love of quiche I thought today I would share my recipe for Mushroom & Onion quiche. For those of you who have not made quiche before, it's essentially an egg & cheese pie with other yummies added. Try one today. It's delicious on its own or served along side a fresh green salad topped with a light balsamic vinegar dressing. I'm getting hungry thinking about it! Enjoy. until next time...

MUSHROOM  & ONION QUICHE 

1 purchased pie crust (or prepare your own)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup finely diced yellow onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound medium button mushrooms, cleaned, halved & thinly sliced 
salt & pepper to taste 
½ cup grated cheddar cheese 
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese 
1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese 
3 eggs 
¾ cup milk 

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Bring crust to room temperature and unroll according to package directions. Place into a 9-inch pie pan, fluting edges. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.

In a large non-stick skillet over medium flame, heat the oil and butter. Add onions & garlic and sauté until translucent. Add mushrooms, salt & pepper, and continue cooking until mushrooms & onions are golden brown and any liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat to cool.

Place half of each kind of cheese into the cooled pie crust. Top with half of the mushroom mixture. Repeat with remaining cheese and mushrooms. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until smooth; pour into pie crust. Sprinkle top with black pepper. Place pie pan onto a large baking sheet and place carefully into oven. Bake for about 40 minutes or until set. Let cool for about 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.